Some tasty recipe's for you to try...
Aubergine, Courgette & Butternut Parmigiana (Serves 4)
PER SERVING: 243cals; 9.4g fat of which 4.8g saturated fat; 19.6g protein, 18.6g carbohydrate; 1.3g added sugar; 1g salt, 5.1g fibre
Published by Sainsburys
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2.5cm (1in) cubes
Low calorie oil spray
2 aubergines, trimmed and sliced into 1cm discs
2 large courgettes - sliced into 1cm discs
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 x 20g packet fresh basil, shredded
1 teaspoon caster sugar
2 x 125g reduced-fat mozzarella, sliced
4 round tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Oven proof dish measuring 10 x 8in, 2in deep
• Preheat oven to 200oC, fan 180oC, gas mark 6.
• Lightly spray the squash, aubergine and courgette with oil, season and toss together.
• Spread out on a baking tray and roast for 25-30minutes until tender and caramelised and set aside
• Then reduce the oven temperature to 180oC, fan 170oC, gas mark 4.
• Tip tomatoes into a saucepan and add the garlic, basil, sugar and some seasoning.
• Simmer for 6-8 minutes until slightly reduced.
• Spoon half the tomato mixture into the ovenproof dish and cover with half of the roasted vegetables.
• Spoon remainder of tomato mixture over the top of the vegetables.
• Place overlapping slices of mozzarella on top and scatter on the parmesan.
• Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbling
Italian Chicken and Butternut Pie (serves 6)
Published by the Good Food Magazine, November 2002
491 calories per serving
Ingredients: Olive oil; 8 chicken thigh fillets; packet of pancetta; 1 large butternut squash; 1 onion; 2 garlic cloves; 1 tsp dried marjoram; 200ml red wine; 1 tbsp plain flour; 2 x 400g cans chopped tinned tomatoes; 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly; 1 loaf ciabatta; grated parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7/fan 200C
2. Heat oil in pan and cook the chicken until lightly browned
3. Lift chicken from pan and set aside
4. Cook pancetta, diced butternut squash and sliced onion for about 8 minutes until they begin to brown
5. Return cooked chicken to the pan
6. Add sliced garlic, marjoram and cook for 1 minute
7. Keep back 2tbsp wine, then pour the rest into the pan and let bubble for 5 minutes
8. Blend flour with the rest of the wine until smooth
9. Stir flour and wine mixture into the pan along with the tinned tomatoes, the redcurrant jelly and some salt & pepper
10. Lower the heat, half-cover the pan with lid and simmer gently for 30-40 minutes until the squash is just tender
11. Transfer to a casserole dish
12. Cut the ciabatta into very thin slices and arrange on top of the casserole, overlapping slightly
13. Drizzle a little olive oil over the ciabatta and sprinkle parmesan and black pepper on top
14. Bake in the oven, uncovered, for 15 minutes until golden brown on top
15. Serve with fresh seasonal vegetables
Aubergine and Tomato Lasagne (serves 4)
Published by the BBC Vegetarian Good Food Magazine
365 calories per serving
Ingredients: Olive oil; 1 onion finely chopped; 2 aubergines diced, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes; 150ml red wine; 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves; 6 sheets no pre-cook lasagne; 450g tub low fat cottage cheese; grated nutmeg; 55g Edam cheese; 4 tsp grated Parmesan; salt & pepper seasoning.
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C or Gas Mark 6.
2. Heat 2 tsp of oil and fry onion and aubergine, stirring occasionally, until just brown.
3. Stir in chopped garlic, tomatoes, wine and seasoning and bring to the boil.
4. Simmer, uncovered for 15 mins, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened.
5. Stir the basil into tomato mixture.
6. Spoon one third of mixture into an ovenproof dish
7. Lay half the pasta sheets on top, then cover with half the remaining tomato mixture and half the cottage cheese. Season generously with grated nutmeg and pepper.
8. Cover with the remaining pasta sheets, tomato mixture and cottage cheese in that order. Season with more grated nutmeg and pepper
9. Sprinkle over the grated Edam and Parmesan.
10. Cook for 30-40 minutes until the topping is browned.
11. Serve with mixed salad
White Fish with Lemon & Coriander Crust (serves 4).
Less than 300 calories per portion.
Published by Sainsbury's
Ingredients: Olive oil; 1 onion finely chopped; 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped; 400g can of chopped tomatoes; salt & pepper seasoning; half bag of fresh spinach leaves; juice and zest of 1 lemon; 50g fresh breadcrumbs; handful of fresh, chopped coriander; 500g skinless, boneless fillets of any white fish you fancy (4 pieces)
1. Preheat oven to 200oC, 400oF or Gas Mark 6.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of oil and cook onion until softened, then add garlic for a few minutes, then add the tinned chopped tomatoes and cook gently for 10mins. Season to taste.
3. Arrange the raw spinach in base of ovenproof dish. Pour over the tomato sauce you've just made, plus the lemon juice.
4. Mix together the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, coriander, 2 tbsp of olive oil and seasoning.
5. Place the fish on the raw spinach. Pack the breadcrumb mixture firmly on top of the four fish fillets.
6. Bake for 20-25mins.
7. Serve with new potatoes